Friday, February 8, 2008

Creepers vs. Favorites

Flipping through channels last night, I happened to come across the premier of the new season of Survivor. I am a fan of the show and have watched most of the other seasons, so I tuned in for this one with its new twist. I had seen it advertised and was curious as to how it was going to work.

To be honest, I wasn’t expecting it to be as good as other seasons, and the first episode proved me right, in my opinion at least. It seemed as though the “fans” were creepy stalkers of the “favorites,” which Alexis practically says by stating, “…we know their game. We know not only their strengths but their weaknesses too.” There have been multiple seasons of Survivor, and in order to remember the way every contestant played the game, you would have to be a bit of a creeper.

By choosing to run this type of show, I think CBS is testing America’s limits on true devotion to media. I’m sure there are plenty of people out there who are obsessive fans of reality shows, but I believe that putting them on national television for the whole country to know the extent of their fanaticism is a bit much. Maybe it’s too early to judge, but I don’t think the fans versus favorites setup will be the “ultimate challenge” after all.

3 comments:

BeckysCommBlog said...

I think you make a good point. Reality shows seem to alway be looking for something attention getting and new. I don't think this will be their best season. It might have been better if they had another all-star season instead of having fans on the show.

Nicky Piszczor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicky Piszczor said...

I do think the whole concept is kind of creepy as well. If all of these "fans" have followed the shows by heart to the point that they know each "favorite's game plan" by heart, then these contestants have way too much time on their hands. These fans seem like stalkers almost. It's sad when people's lives become so consumed by the media that a TV show becomes their ultimate source of enjoyment. Hopefully, this is not the case for these "fans," but I still think it is kind of creepy like you said.