Sunday, April 20, 2008

Violence and Body Image in the Media

After creating profiles of characteristics necessary for media viewing to affect me, I have concluded that with set point factors, I am less likely to be influenced by the media, whereas with special factors, I am more easily affected. I chose two possible media influences—violent behavior and body image—to create my profiles. I found these topics interesting because by the time children are eighteen years old, they will witness 200,000 acts of violence on television(http://www.mediafamily.org/facts/facts_vlent.shtml). Additionally, a study found media consumption to be positively associated with body dissatisfaction among women (http://www.mediafamily.org/facts/facts_mediaeffect.shtml).

The set point factors had low risk effects for me personally. I often have trouble following complex plot situations, so I am less likely to interpret the characters’ emotions or actions (through my developmental maturity and cognitive abilities) in a way that would lead me to act violently. As for body image, I have a broad enough knowledge structure and lifestyle to know that the media cannot be relied upon to present average body proportions in actresses and models. Additionally, many beliefs that I learned growing up conflict with what the media says; because I have been “socialized with consistent norms for a long period of time,” I have “a relatively weighty risk set point” (Media Literacy, page 252). As for media exposure habits, I tend to gravitate more towards sitcoms and chick flicks than to violent shows or movies. With chick flicks, I remain aware that body image will not be portrayed accurately.

For factors special to a type of effect, my profiles were a bit different. I tend to be naïve occasionally when viewing television shows or movies, and if the content of messages and the context of portrayals are realistic enough, I may believe that the violence or the body types are realistic. Media Literacy also mentions motivation as a factor special to a type of effect. If I am looking for a way to lose weight, I might believe that diet pills actually work, because I could get caught up in finding the answers I need. Likewise, if I am in an angry state, I might be more affected by violence in the media and therefore be “much more likely to behave aggressively than if only one of these conditions is present” (Media Literacy, page 256).

From this exercise, I can conclude that when the content I view becomes persuasively realistic, I am likely to cross the threshold of skepticism and embrace what the media offers. In the future, I intend to be less naïve with the media. This exercise made me aware that although certain situations might appear completely realistic, they could be full of empty promises or dangerous tendencies. As long as I rely on my background knowledge and sociological factors, without allowing motivation or state of mind to interfere, I can continue to enjoy the media while simultaneously being aware of potentially harmful effects.

No comments: